Look what came into the mail today! My very own unique Rookie Blue “serve, protect and don’t screw up” key chain!
yay to the crappy photo quality of my phone. if you want to take a better look at the image, you can see it here.
Someone said that Aliyah O’brien wasn’t even that attractive.
what? someone really said that? I mean even if you’re deaf, blind and stupid you’d still see the beauty that’s Aliyah O’Brien
" I have to Prove that I’m not some Tragic little girl Who can’t take handle Herself "
Gail: Thanks so much for doing this.
Holly: Kid goes missing, it’s pretty much top of the pile.
Gail: So how long until we know if the DNA is in the system.
Holly: A couple of hours…maybe more.
Are you ready for another fun and blabbering installment of “I think too much about the nuances of a fourteen minute ship and you shouldn’t be reading this nonsense”? This ship is like a sickness and I need to work through it, okay, like waiting for the fever to break. Good thing for everyone reading this right now, there are not a lot of scenes left and this madness will be over. But, while we wait for that day to come, grab some tea, sit back and settle in to read this meta.
1. One of the things I like about this scene is what it isn’t about. This is the first scene featuring Gail and Holly after their small peck (heeee) in the coatroom and it isn’t about how weird and uncomfortable it has made their budding friendship. In fact, it seems just the opposite. In most other television show, you’d expect their next scene to be some kind of “gay panic” scene where Gail frets “what did that kiss mean?” over-analyzing it or maybe even completely rejecting Holly or being uneasy about having to spend time in Holly’s lab (what if there is lesbian weirdness?). But not so. They seem completely at ease here. Perhaps, they talked about it in a scene we didn’t see. Or, as I suspect, they both chalked it up to a “thing that happened” of no more importance than kissing each other on the cheek (oh, you guys … it was important!!). Either way, it hasn’t effect their developing friendship at all, except to spur it forward.
2. The moment we should have all known this relationship was different for Gail… she brought Holly coffee and thanked her as she delivered it. Let me repeat that while yelling it through cupped hands, GAIL PECK BROUGHT ANOTHER HUMAN BEING COFFEE AND THANKED HER FOR HELPING HER. Who are you and what have you done with Gail Peck? Of course, Gail has brought others coffee before, but that was when she wanted to suck up to her training officer and make a good impression. Well, the same can be said here, I guess, but the good impression wasn’t about Gail’s ambition or self-interest, it’s about impressing this new friend (*cough* cute girl *cough*) into liking her more.
3. My favorite moment in this scene is Holly snarking on Gail for asking if there is a way to make the DNA identification go faster. Holly snarked on Gail using science speak so dense I am not even sure I understood any of it. Holly sassed Gail with science snark and then walked away as she did it. Rather than be annoyed at Holly snarking on her brain’s ability to comprehend short tandem repeats, Gail seems oddly okay with being science sassed by Holly. It’s like some geeky mating dance and it’s adorable. Also, if you think about it, this scene is mirror scene of “Gail having to explain to Holly what a police officer does” right before they kiss.
4. Point number three also highlights just how at ease Gail is around Holly. Holly has created a safe space and their relationship has progressed to the point where Holly can make fun of Gail’s lack of science knowledge (MEDICAL JURISPRUDENCE!) and it doesn’t come across as dig on Gail’s intelligence. Gail knows Holly is just using her snark to put her at ease and try to diffuse a tense situation. Gail is probably thinking of all the horrible ways Christian’s kidnapping could go, but Holly’s silly snark makes it just a bit better.
5. This scene shouldn’t be as adorable as it is because it really just serves as a perfunctory “moving the main plot forward” scene, but these two someone how much it so fun to watch. I would like more scenes like this next season. Yes, please.
6. So, just completely forget about all the things I wrote just now, the real question this scene brings up is … did Gail just hang out with Holly at the lab all day while the DNA was being sequenced? How long was she there? Did Holly continually science sass Gail? Did Gail love every moment of it? This question becomes even more pressing when you realize that after spending, probably, hours with Holly in her lab, Gail STILL wants to hang out with her some more after her shift and they go to the batting cages together. When Traci tells Gail that she deserves to be happy, I think Gail thinks about how Holly made what could have been an awful, stressful day just a bit better by just being around her. So, Gail brought Holly coffee, spend hours in the lab with her and then wanted to hang out with Holly even more after her day was done. Yeah, these two were so dating and didn’t even know it.
I have to prove that I’m not some tragic little girl who can’t take handle herself.
50 Girlcrushes of 2013: Charlotte Sullivan
When I first watched Rookie Blue back in 2010, I had two thoughts, why did Gail Peck look so familiar (oh hey, it’s Marion from Harriet the Spy) and why wasn’t Gail Peck featured more in episodes? As you can tell my mind has always been Gail Peck focused even before my feelings for her spiraled out of control into the abyss from which I may never recover. So, it shouldn’t be surprising that Gail Peck is the reason I found my way back to the show. Okay, so Gail kissing a lovely lady was the more exact reason but I think everyone knew that already. My perfect fourteen minute ship! After watching all of Rookie Blue’s episodes (in record time…for science!), I can say, with much more conviction, that Gail Peck is better than you. Gail Peck longs for your approval and respect. Gail Peck doesn’t give a fuck what you think of her. Gail Peck will call you out on your shit with a smile on her face. Gail Peck doesn’t really care except when she cares too much. Gail Peck is aggressive tenderness and tender sarcasm. Gail Peck is a vulnerable heart who protects herself with a layer of disdain and a thorny personality that would make most run for the hills but she cares deeply … sometimes… when she wants to. Charlotte takes a character that can be very acerbic and off-putting and makes you care because if you look at Gail Peck long enough, you see the cracks in her armor. She is so fragile sometimes that you just want to reach into the television and hug her. One gets the feeling that if she just allowed herself to be happy and really believed that she deserved to be happy, life would flow a lot easier for her (Holly can help you with that, Gail), but I also hope she stays snarky as hell. Also, there is Charlotte who makes it impossible not to love her because she keeps saying perfect things in interviews about this storyline. I think the only person who ships Gail and Holly more than I do is Charlotte Sullivan.
I will! I will! I got really inspired by that song! I’ll try to start tomorrow, so with a little bit of luck it should be up this weekend :)